SKID SAFE™ – Water Based Sealer & Finish
If you are looking for a clear, smooth non slip coating for your slippery indoor/outdoor floors, look no further. SKID SAFE™ is proven, time tested, easy to use sealer/finish that can make almost any surface no slip. Its anti slip property is amazing, because it is actually even more slip resistant wet than dry! See the independent laboratory report here. SKID SAFE™ is a very high quality anti slip sealer/finish with long durability, and therefore it is covered by 5 Year Pro-Rated Warranty. Single Quarts are covered by 100% unconditional money back guarantee.
We have developed SKID SAFE™ in 1986 in San Francisco. Today it is available in many countries around the world.
Clear Slip Resistant Floor Finish For
Tiles, Porcelain, Concrete, Composite Floors, Sealed Floors, and More
Main Benefits Of Our No Slip Floor Finish:
- Extremely high skid/slip resistant floor finish
- Regular gloss, or Satin/Matte
- Regular gloss slip resistance: ASTM D2047: 0.778 Dry, 0.896 Wet
- Satin/Matte version slip resistance: ASTM D2047: 0.73 Dry, 0.785 Wet
- Can be applied over other coating, even epoxies
- Dries clear, does not change the look of the floor
- Exceptional durability, does not require stripping for 5+ years
- Easy application – fast drying: 30-60 minutes between coats
- Waterproofs, stainproofs (urine, oil, coffee, food, gas and many other chemicals)
- Does not yellow, peel, flake, crack, nor chip
- Water based, very low VOC: 19.6 g/l per California VOC regulations
- Compliant with OSHA and ADA requirements for coefficient of friction
- Warranted For 5 Years
Use SKID SAFE™ On These Floors To Make Them No Slip:
- Hard Floor Surfaces: Slippery ceramic tiles, masonry, concrete, driveways, stairs, garage floors, marble, granite, terrazzo, terra cotta, slate, cement, stone, enamel, limestone, etc.
- Soft Floor Coverings: Slippery Vinyl tiles, VCTs, linoleum, plastic, fiberglass and rubber floor surfaces
- Wood: All slick hardwood floors and stairs, natural, stained, varnished, epoxied, lacquered, urethaned, painted woods and all laminates
- Metal: All slippery metal floors
- Paint: All slippery painted floors
- Other Finishes and Sealers: Use SKID SAFE on slippery floors sealed with epoxies, urethanes and other finishes
Above: Slippery Slate and Brick sealed with extremely slip resistant floor finish: SKID SAFE™
SKID SAFE™ should be used on all slippery floors to make them no slip, including decks, ramps, driveways, stairs, walkways, locker rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, etc. SKID SAFE is the most popular on slippery ceramic tiles, all porcelain tiles, stained concrete, slick hardwood floors (especially hardwood stairs), pergo, laminates, vinyl tiles, and masonry.
For exterior surfaces and interior surfaces with frequent water spills, like pool decks, kitchens and bathrooms we recommend using one of our NO SLIP SKID SAFE SYSTEMS™, which creates rough surface with true traction – real non-slip (anti-slip) finish: maximum protection against slip and fall accidents.
SKID SAFE™ Use Estimates:
1. SKID SAFE™ (when used alone – without ND AGGREGATE™) to create slip resistant finish
NON POROUS FLOOR MATERIAL such as porcelain, ceramic tiles, metal, currently sealed flooring or fiberglass: You need to apply 4 separate coats according to our directions. The approximate coverage for all 4 applied coats is about 400 sq.ft. per gallon. Divide your floor sq.ft. area by 400 to show the amount of SKID SAFE™ Water Based Sealer/Finish that you need.
POROUS FLOOR MATERIAL such as vinyl, quarry tile, brick, wood, concrete, masonry and porous paint: You need to apply 4 separate coats according to our directions. The approximate coverage for all 4 applied coats is about 200 sq.ft. per gallon. Divide your floor sq.ft. area by 200 to show the amount of gallons of SKID SAFE Water Based Sealer/Finish that you need.
2. SKID SAFE™ when used together with ND AGGREGATE™ – to create NO SLIP floor finish
NON POROUS FLOOR MATERIAL such as porcelain, ceramic tiles, metal, currently sealed flooring or fiberglass: You need to apply 6 separate coats according to our directions. The approximate coverage for all 6 applied coats is about 300 sq.ft. per gallon. Divide your floor sq.ft. area by 300 to show the amount of gallons of SKID SAFE Water Based Sealer/Finish that you need. Divide your floor sq. ft. area by 160 to show the amount of lbs. of ND AGGREGATE™ needed.
POROUS FLOOR MATERIAL such as concrete, quarry tile, brick, wood, masonry and porous paint: You need to apply 6 separate coats according to our directions. The approximate coverage for all 6 applied coats is about 170 sq. ft. per gallon. Divide your floor sq. ft. area by 170 to show the amount of gallons of SKID SAFE™ Water Based Sealer/Finish that you need. Divide your floor sq. ft. area by 160 to show the amount of lbs. of ND AGGREGATE™ needed.
Essential & Complementary Products For SKID SAFE™ :
1. ND AGGREGATE™ – Creates a Non-Slip Floor Finish with True Traction. ND AGGREGATE™ is available in 4 colors (white, brown, black, green) to make it virtually unnoticeable when standing and looking at any completed application. It is pleasant to walk on in bare feet, and is used to protect swimming pool/sauna/shower areas. Now, instead of sliding into second base on a wet marble/terrazzo lobby floor, your shoe will grip on our special application firmly when wet. Neither foot traffic, nor tires will harm ND AGGREGATE™ Test it at no risk! Order 1 lb of ND AGGREGATE™ per each 160 sq. ft.
2. SUPER BOND & CLEAN™ – Cleans unsealed ceramic tile/porcelain floors and prevents SKID SAFE from peeling when washed daily. It creates proper adhesion on the tile and eliminates the need for any other pre-treatment. SUPER BOND & CLEAN™ is required for all new and used ceramic tile/porcelain floors. If your tile has been sealed, either strip it first or do not use this product. Order 1 Quart of SUPER BOND & CLEAN™ per each 100 sq. ft.
3. CONCRETE BOND & CLEAN™ – Cleans unsealed concrete floors and prevents SKID SAFE from peeling when washed daily. It creates proper adhesion on unsealed concrete, and eliminates the need for any other pre-treatment. CONCRETE BOND & CLEAN™ is required for all unsealed concrete floors. Do not use this product on sealed floors. Order 1 Quart of CONCRETE BOND & CLEAN™ per each 50 sq. ft.
1. Does SKID SAFE™ feel sticky, will it change the feel of my floor?
No, SKID SAFE™ dries hard and smooth. Your floor will feel just like before, but it will me more slip resistant.
2. What makes SKID SAFE™ so slip resistant if it dries smooth?
Slip resistance feature of SKID SAFE™ is achieved by its unique chemistry. Sealed floors feel normal, but feature very high slip resistance when necessary.
3. Does SKID SAFE™ work well on ceramic and porcelain tiles?
Yes, your tiles will look virtually the same, but will be much more slip resistant than before. Three minute SUPER BOND & CLEAN™ treatment is required on all tiles and porcelain before SKID SAFE application
4. Some of my floors are sealed, and some have slippery epoxy finish. Do I need to strip them first?
If your existing finish is in a sound condition you do not need to strip it. Just clean it with pH Neutral cleaner and then apply SKID SAFE. Keep in mind that our finish will last only as long as your existing finish. If you decide to strip your finish, be sure to neutralize it afterwards with a Neutralizer and then use SUPER BOND & CLEAN™.
5 . When and why do I need to use ND AGGREGATE™?
Use ND AGGREGATE™ with SKID SAFE™ on all exterior surfaces, or indoor surfaces that get wet, like swimming pool decks, locker rooms, etc. Why? Because of possibility of hydroplaning. That is when a shoe/foot never makes contact with SKID SAFE, and instead slides on thin film of water. ND AGGREGATE™ does not allow that.
6. What do you recommend for slippery stained concrete?
All unsealed concrete requires pre-treatment with CONCRETE BOND & CLEAN™. Then apply SKID SAFE™ , and also ND AGGREGATE™ if necessary.
7. How do I clean and maintain floor that is sealed with SKID SAFE?
Mop it with clean water mixed with a neutral pH cleaner. You can also hose it down, or lightly pressure wash it with water. When you notice a loss of gloss (usually on high traffic areas after heavy use), apply a very light coat of SKID SAFE™ over those areas, overlapping a little over normal gloss areas. The new coat will nicely blend in with the rest of the floor.
8. How do I clean floor sealed with NO SLIP SKID SAFE SYSTEM™?
Use pH Neutral cleaner with water and hose down (or lightly power wash) the floor. If necessary, use a brush, or a deck broom. You can pick up the dirt also with a sponge mop, or wetvac. We do not recommend using cotton string mops as they may get stuck in the aggregate,
9. Can I buff SKID SAFE™ ?
Yes, but only when ND AGGREGATE™ was not used. e.g. when the surface is smooth. Do not buff NO SLIP SKID SAFE SYSTEM™, because ND AGGREGATE™ makes the floor rough and would get damaged.
10. Does SKID SAFE™ really last for 5 years?
Yes, if you maintain it properly. Clean it with only pH Neutral cleaners. When after a period of time you notice loss of gloss (usually on a high traffic areas), apply a new coat of SKID SAFE over those areas and overlapping some over perfect looking areas. It will all blend in very nice. Never allow the installation to wear down. ND AGGREGATE™ must alway stay mostly burried in SKID SAFE. Our warranty is NOT a wear warranty.
11. What does your warranty cover?
We guarantee that properly applied and maintained installation of SKID SAFE™ will perform according to our specifications and will not peel off, crack, or chip for 5 years. That means that you do not need to worry about stripping for a very long time. Please read all warranty details here.
F.A.Q About Application:
1. Do I need to shake the bottle and mix SKID SAFE™ with water?
Shake/stir only the Satin/Matte version. Do not mix, nor dilute SKID SAFE with anything else. Use it as it comes from the bottle.
2. What is the shelf life of SKID SAFE™ ?
In unopened container stored in cool, dark room the shelf life is indefinite.
3. How many coats of SKID SAFE™ I need to apply?
Four coats when using it alone, or six coats when using it along with ND AGGREGATE™
4. What are the best applicators to apply SKID SAFE™ ?
We recommned using a water based sealer/finish applicator, or a brand new mop: sponge mop, cotton mop, or flat microfibre mop. It is important not to apply heavy coats. Seeing the wettness is all that is necessary.
5. What is the dry time?
Each coat takes about 30-60 minutes to dry. Higher temperature, dry air, and air circulation speeds up the dry time. Do not apply additional coat until the previous one is completely dry.
6. What is the cure time? When can I walk on the finish?
The full cure time is 96 hours. In residential use, floors can be walked with soft soles after overnight drying. Commercial use requires 3-4 days cure time. If the floors must be used sooner, place rolls of cardboard (or other breathable material) on the floor until SKID SAFE fully cures.
7. When can I clean the floor?
Let the floor cure for 4 days before cleaning it with water, or allowing it to get wet.
8. What happens if it rains on fresh SKID SAFE™ installation before it cured?
SKID SAFE may turn whitish in some spots. These will turn back to normal over time.
9. How can I strip SKID SAFE™ ?
Strip it with ammoniated stripper with very high pH. It is available in local janitorial supply stores, or online.
Always test the product on a small area first to ensure adequate surface preparation, compatibility and desired results. Do not use SKID SAFE on areas that will be under standing water over 5 days. Do not use SKID SAFE™ in extremely challenged traffic areas, like in sporting stadiums/gyms where cleats, or other sharp objects are used. The floor that you are going to seal should be in a sound condition without holes, cracks, water infiltration, etc.
It is essential to follow all of our DIRECTIONS. Clean SKID SAFE™ after it has cured with a mop and a NEUTRAL CLEANER (pH of 7), available at janitorial supply stores. Floors treated with SKID SAFE™ and ND AGGREGATE™ should be cleaned with a brush, water and a neutral cleaner.